Due to various rules, regulations, and "housekeeping," the following requirements must be met in order to be eligible for participation on any of our Science Olympiad teams.
- Families must be members of our parent organization, ExCEL Academic League. Membership includes a criminal background check of all participating adults from each family. Membership Application Packet
- Parents must submit, to ExCEL, a copy of their signed Declaration of Intent to Home School form (also known as the Home Based Instruction form) as filed with the superintendant of the school district in which the student resides (RCW 28A.200.010)
- Students may be enrolled in no more than a total of 2 - 3 classes at any public, private, or charter “brick & mortar” school.
- Students may be enrolled PART-TIME in a virtual public school (RCW 28A150.350) or a virtual private/charter school, as long as they are not reported as a full-time student by the school. Current Washington regulations state that students are considered Full-time at 0.8 FTE.
- Running Start students who are only going through their local school as required, but do not plan on receiving a diploma through the public school are eligible for participation on ExCEL’s High School team.
- Students must reside in Clark County
- Calendar age will be used to determine grade eligibility for Division B (grades 6-9) and Division C (grades 9-12). A student’s equivalent grade will be determined by birth date as of September 1. Hence, a child who will be eleven years old on September 1 will be considered a 6th grader; a twelve year old is a 7th grader, and so forth.
- ExCEL Science Olympiad is not funded by any public school or equivalent. Parents agree that they will not be reimbursed by any public school or equivalent for their participation and expenses in Science Olympiad.